Saturday, June 27, 2009

Flypaper

At the still centre of the cardinal points
The flypaper hung from our kitchen ceiling,
Honey-strip and death-trap, a barley-sugar twist
Of glut and loathing . . .

Seamus Heaney - Known World from Electric Light.

I read this two days ago to the buzz of flies. Warm sunny weather means open windows - enter flies, not many but each has that drone, buzz that I hate so much. If I was left to myself I'd keep all windows closed. As it is I use flyspray much to the disapproval of other inhabitants. Quoting "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" is useless. The flyspray is hidden away.

We used flypaper when I was young, don't see it in shops these days - world going to the dogs. You could make your own - instructions here. I might try it one of these days. Probably not worth it though, fine spell won't last, another wet summer I reckon.

No comments: