Saturday, December 18, 2010

Another Trip to Sligo

A quick dash down to Sligo on last Thursday for my next Television project following on my very impressive appearance as a pathologist in Chrysanthemum Killer in CSÍ on RTE earlier this year. (By the way the actor playing the corpse stole that scene - not a stir out of him. Of course he was a "real" actor.) My next appearance is a speaking part, lots of speaking but no acting! TG4 do a series called Ealú about prison escapes and in the next series they are including an episode on the rescue of Frank Carty of the Sligo IRA from Sligo gaol in 1920 during the War of Independence. No I'm not climbing a 13 foot high wall!

I'm one of the local historians being interviewed for the programme. The production company is Magamedia and the crew I met made me feel at ease. The experience was a pleasant one though I was quite nervous. I decided to talk in Irish hoping my Irish would be up to it. I listened to Raidio na Gaeltachta the whole way down. Road gritting in Connamara is a hot topic. I managed OK. There will be subtitles anyway.

The programme won't be shown until well into next year so you'll have forgotten about it by then. Don't worry I'll remind you in plenty of time. Another Sligo person has already been featured in this series. This was Linda Kearns whose escape from Mountjoy in 1920 was featured in the most recent series.

2 comments:

Connie Roberts said...

Michael, your talent knows no bounds!
As always, I'm so impressed by all you
can fit in in a week. You make the rest of us
look positively lazy...

Wishing you and your family all the blessings
of Christmas. Hope Santa's good to you!

Michael Farry said...

Thanks Connie, that's just retirement!. Happy Christmas.