Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tralee Doghouse Poetry Reading

 A very enjoyable visit to Tralee for the Poets in the Doghouse reading in Siamsa Tíre. Six of this years poets took part, Monica Corish, Barbara Smith, Gréagóir O'Dúill, Anatoly Kudryavitsky, James Lawless and myself. A small but very appreciative audience in a great venue.

We each read from our current Doghouse book for about 15 minutes. I was nominated to go first so I read twelve poems with short introductions.

 I tried to pick ones I hadn't read in public recently and left out "greatest hits" so no Ball of Twine or spreading all my clothes from here to Sligo. (Buy the book!!) As you read a poem you learn something new about it.

A great variety of poetry on offer. It was fascinating to listen to the others and make mental notes - Must try that! Why didn't I think of that?

Anatoly hasn't yet had his book published. It's an anthology of Irish Haiku entitled Bamboo Dreams, and the launch is set for 25 September in the Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green, Dublin. It should be quite an occasion.

Anatoly explained that Ireland was the last country in Europe to have a national anthology of haiku. Well done Doghouse!

Then a meal with the other readers, Editor Noel and Doghouse poets and friends. Great discussion on poets and poetry. I came home with a list of poets I must look up and read. Thanks Doghouse!

Pictures: Top:  Barbara Smith. Right: Anatoly Kudryavitsky.

No comments: